Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A Caliber Christmas #1


Finding this 1989 Christmas special was quite the coup. This black
and white one-shot from the pretty much defunct Caliber Comics
featured a story starring punk-goth superhero, The Crow. Anything
starring this character is quite collectible (I.E. rare) and thus quite
expensive. 

A Caliber Christmas books for $75 and that's not graded! Yet I happened to find a
very good condition issue for only $1! That's a potential profit of 7500%,
if I wanted to sell it. And that was a very big IF...

One of my key collections in my comic book collection is my holiday comics. Be
it Halloween, Christmas or Arbor Day. If it's a book of sequential art about a
special time of year- I WANT IT! Clearly, if I needed to sell off some of my
collection,my holiday books would be one of the last things I would sell.
But $75 can buy more comic books! I really needed to know if this book was
worth keeping or not. 

There's about a dozen stories in this giant sized special. With the exception of
the Crow, the other vignettes are of franchises and/or characters that I am not at
all familiar with at all. Though you might not know anything about these figures,
all of the stories are clearly set during Christmastime. For example, with the
Baker Street tale, you'll see what it's like to celebrate the holidays with the
homeless and less fortunate. Ironically, I thought that the story starring Crow
was the weakest of this entire bunch.

One thing that surprised me about this comic book was how religious it was.
Most Christmas specials these days tend to stay away from Christianity; to
the point of not even using the word 'Christmas' in the title! But at least 2
stories talk positively about Christ. Plus there was one very intriguing story
set in what is called the Aniverse, was a brilliant anthropomorphic allegory
of the Christmas Story. 

But you are quickly reminded at points that this is a typical comic book.
There's a very cheesecake pin-up in the center of the book. And that back
page splash between a cat(?) and one of Santa's reindeer was pretty risque.
And that gory but very twisty Deadworld story! Wow! I actually want to find
more from this series!

Begrudgingly, I must say that I loved this book. I guess I'm going to have to
find my $75 elsewhere. Because when it comes to A Caliber Christmas:
It's a keeper!


Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment