Thursday, December 5, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 5


We travel to the 1990s for today's Advent. I had a lot of great memories with this toy. Though, I am not really sure if you can call it a toy or not. After I give you a brief history of today's featured item, I'll let you decide.

Christmas of 1992 was taken by storm by the hit movie, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. In the film, Macaulay Culkin's character of Kevin gets separated from his parents AGAIN! This time it's at the airport and the youth winds up in New York all by himself. Thanks to his ingenuity with a portal tape recorder, Kevin is able to stay at the ultra luxurious Plaza Hotel. It's that tape player in which I am focusing on for today.



There were several models of Talkboy. But if you wanted to be like Kevin, the device you wanted was called a Deluxe Talkboy. Designed by Tiger Electronics, the device could record voices at 3 speeds: regular, fast and slow just like in the movie!

I remember getting one of these from my mom that year. I do not remember asking for it for Christmas, however. But it was a fun surprise to get on Christmas morning. It came with headphones and I played the heck out of it with some new cassettes I got from my grandparents later in the day.



My enjoyment didn't stop there. I took it to school the following week and man did I and my friends have a ball with this thing during study hall. We made skits and funny news reports and so forth. But since we had a teacher nearby, we didn't get to cross the line with it. Still it was a lot of fun! But don't take my word for it!

As my Advent present for you, here's the original 1992 commercial which highlights all the great aspects of the Talkboy Deluxe.

Enjoy...





No comments:

Post a Comment