Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 17


Thinking about yesterday's featured toy reminded me of another all-inclusive toy from my youth that I really loved. You might be familiar with Colorforms. But have you ever visited Marvel World? Well for today's Advent, welcome one and all!


Marvel World was an all-in-one playset from Amsco. The set was made of heavy-duty cardboard featuring 360 degrees of full color graphics. With this material, you got to build the Baxter Building, Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorium, the Daily Bugle and other Marvel icons of the New York skyline. The sets even had a working elevator and other cool surprises for the kiddies to explore on the inside.

Along with the buildings, you got literally dozens of little stand-up figures of Marvel Universe greats including Spider-Man, Hawkeye, The Green Goblin and Shang-Chi, The Master of Kung-Fu. You even got a Galactus but unfortunately, he was the same size as the other characters. 

This toy debuted in 1975. That's 3 years before I was born. But I remember owning one of these. I wanna say that my grandparents found one of these at a yard sale. I'm not 100% certain if I had this for a Christmas gift or not. But man, did I have fun with these!



Marvel World is definitely one of those toys that I wish I still had. I really think I'd continue to have hours and hours of fun with this. Yet, I seriously doubt I'll ever get my hands on one of these. Individual figures without the plastic stands sell for upwards of $65 each!


Behold, I am the herald of ridiculous collectible prices!

Maybe Marvel would re-release this. I'd pay upwards of about $60 for a replica set. 


As my Advent present for you today, here's an unboxing video. Obviously somebody shelled out some big bucks. Lucky guy... Oh well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment