Thursday, December 26, 2019

A Kidnapped Santa Claus

A lost classic from Oz creator L. Frank Baum. 

A trio of demons are not happy with Santa. By giving kiddies gifts every year, there's less and less reasons for the little tykes to follow the ways of anger, selfishness and envy. So, the demons decide to ruin Christmas in hopes of keeping Jolly Ol' St. Nick from wanting to deliver toys this year. When those combined efforts don't work, the demons decide to kidnap Santa!

With the deed being done during Christmas Eve, there's no time to save Santa before the big delivery. Can Santa's fairies (no elves here, folks) save the holiday without Kris Kringle behind the wheel of the sleigh? 

This was a story I knew nothing about. I didn't even know that this tiny graphic novel existed until I found a copy of it at one of my favorite thrift stores. For only a dollar, this book was a delight.

Written in the late 1800s, this is a different take on Santa Claus and perhaps the Christmas holiday itself that many are used too. Some of it is also because it comes from the fanciful mind of L. Frank Baum.  With fairies, giant dog people and all sorts of demon creatures, this was a much different North Pole than I am used to! But you know, I liked the fact that I could read something for the holidays and  basically have zero idea where things were going to wind up.

Adapted by Alex Robinson (Box Office Poison), I had a lot of fun with this book. Robinson must be a Star Wars fan as there's several lines of dialogue from that epic franchise peppered throughout this unique take on holiday legends! 

I'd love for all of you Christmas comic fans to enjoy this book. But it might be hard to find. I tried to gather some additional info from this book an Amazon and I couldn't even find a posting for it. 

Best of luck!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment