Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 10

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you'll know that I an obsessed with comic books. For today's we venture back to the late 70s/early 80s to look at a toy from my childhood that sparked that love of superheroes. 

My mother loved to take pictures of me on Christmas day, reveling in everything that Santa had brought for me while I was asleep. One of the earliest photos I recall has me standing next to an inflatable Incredible Hulk Punching Bag. I must not have been older than 5. 

I realize the the proper term for this toy was a bopping bag. But as a youngster, I called it a punching bag. 




I remember how much fun it was to punch it and it would wobble to the floor and come back for more. Also, I recall being in my parent's room and punching it so hard one day that it sprung a leak. (I would later get a Spider-Man replacement at some point.) 

Yes, I have all these memories. Yet for some reason I can't remember just exactly what my Hulk toy looked like. I found 2 versions- both of which look familiar. But I am just not sure. Maybe I had both? For some reason, I remember the yellow box from the image below as well as the Hulk toy in the pic below. Regardless, this should explain why I included photos of the two varieties of bop bags.




If I had easy access to my Christmas photos, I could solve this problem. But if I am being honest, while I am in the holday spirit, I am not in the mood to go looking for one photo out of a stack of 1000s. 

Maybe some day. Just not today!



For my Advent gift for you today, here's a video of Hulk and some friends dancing to Jingle Bells. Because, why not? 

Pour yourself a cup of egg nog and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment