Monday, December 2, 2019

Strange Adventures #79

I just couldn't wait for December 1st. I've been in a festive mood and wanted to read a holiday comic so bad! So I compromised with this issue of DC's Strange Adventures from 1957!

The cover was the reason for the readings! It depicts a pair of snowmen (who look a lot like Frosty!) laying waste to the Earth with laser beams that emit from their dead coal eyes! If this image does not scream weird and wild Christmas, I don't know what does!

The story takes place during the summer. The snowmen are actually energy beings from another planet. They hope to freeze the Earth in order to make it ripe for invasion since they come from a planet far away from the sun. As their actions cause it to snow, a pair of boys end up doing what any kid would if it were to snow during a hot July day: they build snowmen. 

The entities enter the snowmen and terrorize the American countryside by using their eye beams to freeze all the vegetation to death! When heat and even an Atomic bomb ends up not being able to stop these frigid fiends, what can the people of earth do to prevent mass global cooling?

The opening story was quite interesting. It had a segment based on factual science as a lot of DC sci-fi stories from this era did. Basically, everything that the writers says was responsible for global warming in 1957 is the complete opposite of what scientists say is causing the global issue now. 

And yes- this 62 year old comic really does claim that the earth of 1957 was suffering from global warming! 

There were 3 other stories in this book. They weren't exactly memorable to me. In fact, I had to look them back up to recall what I read. The stories involve a group of human time travelers from 1 billion years in the past, a human from the future who offers to trade spaces with a 1950s criminal and a mysterious car with a mind of it's own. Of these extra stories, the middle tale was probably the best as that one had a twist ending which was what made me such a fan of sci-fi and horror stories of the 1950s. 

I enjoyed getting to cheat on my holiday comic diet. This vintage book allowed me to get in the Christmas spirit without breaking my personal rule of no holiday comics until December 1st!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment