Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 3


For today's Advent, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite play sets from a Christmas of long ago. From the mega-popular GI Joe line from Hasbro, it's the Tactical Battle Platform!

The Tactical Battle Platform or TBP was released in 1985. Discontinued in 1987, I either received this present from Santa when I was 8 or 9. 




Being molded from gray and red, I thought this play set was an aquatic compound of the evil COBRA. But upon doing research for this project, I discovered that this was actually a fort for the good guys! 

The TBP came with a command center and landing pad for one of the Joe's smaller air vehicles. It was armed with a laser gun and missile launcher (which I don't think it actually shot the projectiles due to safety issues. But it might've...) It also had an deployable platform and a hook on a line which I had a lot of fun adventures with. Both were supposed to be used with the water vehicles in the GI Joe toy line. But I had other uses for them! (More on that shortly.)




Because the TBP was square, I often combined another childhood passion of mine with the Joes, wrestling. As the toy line had a ton of figures, I would load all of my GI Joes and COBRA foes on the TBP and perform a battle royale!




One-by-one, heroes and villains would fall off the TBP into the (in my mind) shark infested waters below. Sometimes the Joes won. Sometimes, the villains would triumph as hey, that's how it was in the wrasslin' world. But you could be sure that the hook and moving platform would be used for a twist or two saving a would-be treat for a great white from the icy waters below!




So for my Advent gift for today, I thought I would let you see more of the TBP's functions and format with a look at this TV commercial from 1986. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment