Friday, December 20, 2019

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

 It took 42 years. But the Skywalker Saga finally came to a close for me last night.

Being born in 1977, I have been in the mix of the highest of highs and the lowest of lows of everything Star Wars. I know that fans have taken issue with the prequels and Episodes VI and VII. But you know what? I decided to say the heck with the 'experts.' I stayed away from articles about secret reveals and fan reactions. I didn't even check out the reviews. My students tried to get into my head telling me yesterday that the movie got terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and some Disney advisory panel. But I did not care! 

Star Wars is like life. You are who make it good or bad! I love Star Wars. Having been a shut-in with asthma, my Star Wars toys and vehicles were all I had growing up. (Thank you dad for buying all those toys and keeping them until I was a little older to play with them!)  I consider it my best friend. It's family. I love it unconditionally. 

Well, except for Jar-Jar. Oh, who am I kidding- he's like the crazy uncle that you don't talk about but still invite him to dinner. I like him too. Just in small doses...

Being a movie with a run of over 2.5 hours, there's no small dose of Star Wars here. Yes, things start off slow. You can tell that a stand-in was used quite a bit for some of the parts with the late Carrie Fisher's Leia. There was also some CGI used that made things look a little off. But the movie itself wraps things up nicely.

Ray's mysterious heritage is revealed. Kylo Ren makes his final decision into his ultimate fate! And so much more happens in this epic film! So much that I will limit my description of this film in order to not spoil the ending.

The Rise of Skywalker was almost ready the overthrow Empire Strikes Back as the best Star Wars film. Just when I was about to bestow that moniker on this film, about halfway through, director J.J. Abrams (LOST) decided to pepper tributes to some of his favorite films of the 80s. 

The middle act pays tribute to Goonies, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Castaway among others. There was another cliche floating around at this point; but I can't remember what it referenced. I felt like I was watching a Star Wars parody of movies I grew up watching. Thankfully, that third act wrapped up the Star Wars saga that has been a part of my whole life. 

The Rise of Skywalker might not have been the perfect Star Wars movie. But it was the perfect ending to it. I am so thankful that I got to see all IX movies before my saga comes to a close.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment