Sunday, December 22, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 22


Tonight marks the first night of Hanukkah. As with every Advent that contains an opening eve of those eight crazy nights, I devote today's post to my Jewish princess. Today, I am talking about one of my wife's all-time favorite toys: The Emergency! Board Game.


Based on the TV show of the same name, this 1973 board game was produced by Milton Bradley. The board was a winding maze of roads that lead to various locales. When you landed on certain spaces, you drew a card it which the 911 dispatch told you of an emergency. 

A child is choking at the park!
An elderly gentleman is having a heart attack at the apartments!
A woman has gone into labor at the super market!



With your miniature fire truck playing pieces, you used a spinner to race to the scene and then make it to Rampart Hospital as soon as possible. Once the patient was safely taken to the emergency room, you were to head back to headquarters for your next adventure. The first squad to complete 3 rescues won the game!

My wife had this game as a little girl because Emergency! was her favorite TV show. I think if you asked her now, it probably still is. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, she lost the game. 

Years later, I found her a copy of the game for sale on eBay! I think I got it for her for Christmas. I'm pretty sure I did. I might have gotten it for Valentines. Or our anniversary. Or her birthday. Or just because I love her. Maybe Hanukkah? Nah! I would have gotten her gelts for that. 

Anyways, you can be sure that as soon as she opened her present, we had to play the game. As board games go- it's a pretty simple game with a Candyland premise. But when it comes to board games from the 1970s- being based on a franchise product, the Emergency! board game was really good. 


Board games based on TV and movies from 1960-1989 often are not fondly remembered for being player friendly. The artwork on the box is memorable. The board might be pretty awesome. But game play is often confusing, difficult or boring. Sometimes all three! Case in point- the Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four game. Oh my god, was that one of the most headache inducing games based on a licensed product ever!

As my Advent gift for you today, here's a tour of the actual L.A. station in which Squad 51 was based out of on the 70s series. Be sure to note that a rerun of Emergency! plays on the TV in the lounge. It's very meta!

Enjoy!



(Note: I realize that for a Hanukkah post, I have included images based on Christmas. Do you know how impossible it is to find Hanukkah images of the TV show Emergency!? If you are a fan of Roy and Johnny and you have the skills to make some sort of Jewish holiday themed Emergency! images, please share them with me and I'll replace them holiday pics I put up in this post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment