Monday, December 9, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 9

I made an executive decision for today's Advent. See, I've been working on this Advent for several weeks, researching and drafting ideas. I had another toy planned for today. But a recent review I posted on this blog inspired me to make a change. 


A couple of days ago, I reviewed Disney A Christmas Carol Starring Scrooge McDuck. It was a recent birthday gift from my wife. As I was reviewing the graphic novel from Dark Horse, I remembered a much beloved set of toys that I got over the 1984 holiday season. I'm talking about Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie and ole' Scrooge himself- all in stuffed animal form!

If you read that review, you'll know that I was a huge fan of Mickey's Christmas Carol. It debuted in theaters; to which I remember going to see it with my mom at the old Cameron Village movie theater in Raleigh, NC. You might also recall that in one of my previous Advent posts, I recalled that unlike today's almost instantaneous release of films on home media formats, it could take a couple of years for movies to come out on VHS in the 80s.


In the Fall of 1984, the fast food company Hardee's ran a promotion to coincide with the long-awaited release of Mickey's Christmas Carol on home video. For a period of 5 weeks, you could go to Hardee's and get one of 5 plush figures based off of the characters from the animated film. 

(I think you could have also bought the movie at the restaurant. But I am not certain on that.)

I remember each Friday night after we visited my grandparents after school, we'd stop at the drive-thru of the Hardee's near our house. My mom would order a Pepsi for her and a stuffed Disney character for me. 


I loved those guys. I remember putting them out on display for the Christmas season for many years. Uncle Scrooge wore his purple nightshirt and cap. Mickey, Minnie and Donald were in Victorian era garb. Goofy was decked out like an English gentlemen. The only problem is that I really thought Goofy was colored blue like a ghost. But apparently, I remembered that wrong. I guess I got that mixed up with later beanbag versions of these guys released by Disney in the 90s. 

Oh well... I still have fond memories of them. 

Needless to say, the promotion was a success for Hardee's. There was at least one or maybe two more runs of plush Disney. Characters such as Dumbo, Pinnochio and Bambi were sold in the years to come. I collected those too. But the first wave was and always shall be my favorite!

As my Advent present for you today, I thought I would share with you the commercial for the plush dolls from all the way back in 1984. If they inspire you to go out and grab a set for yourself, may I recommend eBay? 

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment