Saturday, December 14, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 14


I've got another toy fail for today's Advent. 

It's Christmas, 1986. According to Toy and Hobby World Magazine, top 10 toys of that year include Pound Puppies, Transformers, Lazer Tag and WWF Superstars. And what do I ask Santa for? Over The Top action figures!



Over The Top was a 1987 film starring Sylvester Stallone as a big rig driver who dreams of winning an arm wrestling championship in Las Vegas. The film hadn't even come out yet that Christmas! But I wanted those toys. 

I blame the Sears Holiday Wish Book. I saw these amazing pictures of two kids facing off against each other with the Over The Top action figures. They were having so much fun! And I really thought that would be me for Christmas!



See, you could complete with a buddy as Stallone's character of Lincoln Hawk versus several very colorful looking foes in a no holds barred 'rock-em, sock-em robot' style arm wrestling match. The figures' arms could interlock and there were these metal dials in their backs where you could arm wrestle each other. 

You only needed a friend or sibling! However,  in 1986, I didn't have either. My sister wasn't born until 1990 when I was 12. And having just moved into my neighborhood, I really didn't know that many people. It was especially hard as I went to a private school an hour away in which all the other kids in the neighborhood went to the local public school. 

So, I think you could understand my problem. Playing rock-em, sock-em robots by yourself just isn't all that fun. It's like playing ping pong up against a wall. Plus, the action figures were gigantic and they towered over my GI Joes and Star Wars figures. I'm pretty sure that by Christmas afternoon, my attention fell to something cooler that my grandparents or another relative got me for Christmas...



Let's jump to February, 1987. That's when Over The Top debuted in theaters. Disappointed in the toys, I lost interest in seeing the movie. It was budgeted for $25 million. It only took in about $16 million. So all-in-all, this was giant giant FAIL!

As my Advent present for you, I thought I would share the trailer for Over The Top. It should be pretty appearant that this was one of Stallone's biggest motion picture flops. Enjoy if you can muster it...







No comments:

Post a Comment