Thursday, December 5, 2019

Disney A Christmas Carol Starring Scrooge McDuck

One of my favorite of all-time holiday films to watch is Mickey's Christmas Carol! It stars Uncle Scrooge as Ebeneezer Scrooge; the miser who hates Christmas and all who love the holiday. 

The film started an obsession for me as I feel in love with ducks from like age 8 until 10 or so. I loved real ducks. Fake ducks. Ducktales! All of it. When I got to meet some Disney animators, the character I asked them to sketch for me was Uncle Scrooge! I loved ducks that much- until one bit me! (But that a story for another day...)

A couple of months ago, this book dropped. Why it came out in October is beyond me. But when it debuted in stores, I immediately asked for it publicly on social media. And my loving wife, knowing of what a fan of holiday comics I am, got this graphic novel for me for my birthday. Sure, I had to wait a week to read it. But it was worth the wait. 

Other than Donald, who reprises his role as Scrooge's nephew, no other established Disney characters are in this book. Bob Cratchit is played by a beagle looking fellow. Not Mickey. Daisy might be playing Donald's wife. But the character looks too generic to tell. The only other Disney character I might have seen in this graphic novel is the Mickey Mouse comic villain, the Phantom Blot starring as the Ghost of Christmas Future. But again, it's too vague looking of a character to know for sure.

While I would have loved for this to have been a comic book version of the beloved 1983 Disney holiday cartoon, I was rather pleased with the artwork. However, there was one change that I could not overlook. There's no Tiny Tim in this version of the Charles Dickens classic!

Sorry for spoiling, but Tiny Tim is the reason for Scrooge's ultimate change. Yes, scenes from his past and future stir the lead character's darkened soul. But it's the possibility that Tiny Tim will die if he remains in poverty that ultimately causes Scrooge to become a good man. I'm not sure for this massive plot shift. But it was just wrong!

I loved the timelessness of the book. The artwork was really good. But that omission of one of the most iconic characters in not just holiday literature but the whole of English lit kept this from being s perfect holiday read!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment