Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A madman in mourning.




My wife got the call today that a very good friend- scratch that- a dear member of our extended family died today. His name was David Bowden. A real life super hero, David was the youth minister at Janni's home church in Greensboro, NC (Trinity Church.) It takes a special type of person to want to work with kids. I should know, having done it for over a decade. Qualifications are: A little crazy, a lot inventive, able to be patient until the crap really his the fan and then able to silence the room with a single "QUIET!" Also, willing to sleep in weird places during lock-ins, mission trips, and other assorted youth ministry outings. Corny jokes a must!


David was the husband to my wife's best friend in high school. Other than her mom, he and his wife Susan were the first people that Jan introduced me to. I guess I passed their sniff test as Jan and I have been together almost 16 years.


Every time we'd go to Jan's church, my wife and David's wife would chatter like chipmunks. They always could get caught up even after a 3-6 month absence from each other. David would do his thing, mingling with parishioners, I'd go read a book or hang with some of the kids. But, we'd always meet up talk for a good while and then try to pry Jan and Susan away from each other.


I often asked David for advice on moral issues that bothered me, like the most recent election, and so forth. David was always up to the challenge and was always patient and very intelligent with his responses. He always had a unique spin on things that made total sense to me. I'm going to miss that.


David loved many things. His wife and two kids. He loved Jesus. He loved the UNC Tarheels. Well, nobodies perfect. David also loved the lasagna at a former Chapel Hill, NC restaurant called The Rathskeller. It apparently was a "noodle wrapped in pounds of melted cheese." There had been rumors for a couple of years now that the "Rat" was coming back. Sadly, David won't get that chance to be reunited with this legendary dish.


David also loved snow. Just yesterday, he was wishing for a blizzard. Well, there's a bad winter storm approaching. I hope in his honor, we get a total whiteout.


Jan and I will miss you, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment