Friday, February 7, 2014

Today: What is the "Death of Sad Sack?" and Why haven't I been reading GI Joe Lately?

So I thought today I’d address a couple of questions I’ve been asked recently- What is the “Death of Sad Sack” and why aren’t you reading GI Joe anymore? There are simple reasons to both answers. So, let’s start with Sad Sack.
The “Death of Sad Sack” is a Simpson’s reference that highlights on of my biggest pet peeves with comic books. In a classic episode in which Bart and Milhouse are left in charge of the comic book store, the bully Nelson comes up to Bart and hands him a copy of  “Death of Sad Sack” to buy. Before he leaves, the bully warns Bart that the issue he just bought “had better not be a dream.” No, Nelson isn’t imagining he bought the comic book. He’s stating that he’d be really frustrated if he spent his hard earned (or in this case, probably stole) money and waste his time on a comic book which entire plot turns out to be a dream by the end of the book.
I’ve had a lot of problems with comics like that. I’ve spent lots of money on books that had really cool covers, only to be told at the end of the book “Oh, it’s just a dream.” Fans have gotten so angry over books like this publishers have had to put “Not a Dream, Not a Hoax!” on their covers when something audacious happens just so fans will buy it.
Think about it- with the exception of Dorothy finding out her time in Oz was just a dream as well as the last episode of Newhart, there have been a number of works that tie up their loose ends with “It was all a dream” and it’s pissed off legions of loyal fans. Sometimes, it can even back fire, as it took a little convincing that Superman’s death wasn’t just a publicity stunt before even the casual comic book reader took notice. Why, there’s even a season of Dallas that was shrugged off as a dream and many consider that the moment when the series jumped the shark!
I think using the “it was just a dream” as a plot device has become cliché. I think every TV show and comic can use it just once. But that’s it. Make that the ending point of 5 out of every 10 books or episodes produced and I’m going to spend my time and money somewhere else, just like Nelson. So, when I label something as the “Death of Sad Sack” to that level of disgust I have in the “just a dream” plot device, you now know what I am referring to.
Now on to my next question- Why have I stopped reading Marvel’s original run of GI Joe? Well, as you’ll find out in my next couple of posts, I haven’t. I just took a break.
See, I’m not a fan of marathoning a book or TV show. It can get pretty boring or monotonous. It took me a while to want to see Empire Strikes Back again after I saw all 7 viewings of the Special Edition in one day. It can also drive you nuts. Ever seen a bunch of falling bricks after a lengthy session of Tetris? Now imagine rearranging your furniture to resemble a Tetris board. Backbreaking stuff!
What I do like are mini-marathons. Four episodes of Friends in one night or a bunch of Doctor Who’s?-Yes, please! But with this series of Joe, there are 155 issues to read (not counting crossovers.) I don’t want to experience GI Joe burnout. So, what I like to do when reading a lengthy series is a bunch of many mini-marathons. I’ve already read issues 1-60. I think it was a good stopping point to regroup and enjoy some other titles. Now, I am hungry to continue my quest through the epic battle of Joes vs. Cos. (Okay, I’m never saying that again.) Yet, dear reader, do not be surprised if in a couple of weeks, I stop reviewing GI Joe abruptly. It’s just my way of being a balanced reader and getting a little clarity if not sanity back in my life. I’ll be reading about a real American hero again in no time!
The notorious "Death of Sad Sack!"

No comments:

Post a Comment