Sunday, February 16, 2014

GI Joe #80


G.I. Joe (1982-1994) #80A

 

I’m really torn about this issue. It stars Battle Force 2000, which was one of the main reasons I stopped collecting GI Joe figures, besides the ridiculous Space Shuttle play set. But, this issue has a very good plot and is funny as heck.

 

After the events of GI Joe #79, the Joes seek out to shut down the Dreadnok secret base once and for all. Tasked with the job is Battle Force 2000, which is joined by Mutt looking for revenger of the injuries Junkyard sustained. In scenes that remind me of Smokey and the Bandit, Dreadnoks and Joes destroy the New Jersey Turnpike in a comedy of errors. I loved it.

 

Also, this issue answers a question I had a few issues back during the Cobra schism- where are all of the residents of Springfield during the civil war on Cobra Island? Well, the answer is that they are on a cargo ship waiting to be transplanted on American soil covertly. Zartan’s siblings made a killing posing as punk rock real estate agents and have bought a deserted town on the Jersey shore. With a legion of HISS tanks, helicopters, and Crimson Guardsmen setting up base in the bowels of these coastal condominiums, expect lots of domestic mayhem at the hands of Cobra.

 

Final verdict: I will rate this issue as Worth Consuming, but just barely.

 

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment