Monday, February 24, 2014

Avengers By Brian Michael Bendis: The Heroic Age (2012)


Avengers By Brian Michael Bendis: The Heroic Age (2012) #HC

 

This massive collection features 3 Avengers stories written by living legend Brian Michael Bendis. Set at the beginning of the Heroic Age, right after the fall of Norman Osborne’s Dark Reign, the Avengers big three- Tony Stark, Thor, and Steve Rogers- are tasked to reform the Avengers and to bring back glory and honor to the privilege of being one of earth’s mightiest heroes. The stories collected in the massive tome are: Avengers (2010-2012) #1-6, New Avengers (2010-2013) #1-6, and the Avengers Prime miniseries.

 

I had already read the Avengers story in another form before I bought this book. I’ve read it recently, so I didn’t feel the need to read or review it again. It’s a tale that involves the Next Avengers and the Maestro Hulk. I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it.

 

The Avengers Prime story sees the Big Three whisked away to another dimension. It seems like all of Asgard has been warped into a single strange topography. But, with the Norse goddess of the dead, Hela behind this strange new world, it’s anyone’s guess as to what’s real and what’s illusion. It’s an okay story. I like the mistrusting banter between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, with Thor in the background literally banging his head up against a wall. The story wasn’t my favorite which is a shame as I am a huge fan of Captain America and Thor. It was lacking the “ummph” that I just love in their stories.

 

The ending was bittersweet with Rogers loving and then losing a Norse woman. I would very much like to see a conclusion to that opened ended plotline.

 

Then there’s New Avengers. First, Ben Grimm becomes an Avenger. Love it! Then Doctor Strange and Damion Helstrom become vessels for some other-dimensional horror that’s got his sights on the Eye of Agamotto and the destruction of earth. With the Avengers in the future fighting Maestro, the New Avengers are left to save the earth. With great characters such as Spider-man, Luke Cage, his wife Jessica, Wolverine, and the Thing and their classic quips and one-liners, I loved this story. I want to very much to get my hands on the rest of the series. It’s a must read for any Avengers fan!

 

Overall ratings:

Avengers: 9 out of 10

Avengers Prime: 7 out of 10

New Avengers: 10 out of 10

Grand Total Rating of Book: 8.7

 

Worth Consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment