Saturday, February 15, 2014

Marvel Romance Redux: Restraining Orders Are for Other Girls


Marvel Romance Redux: Restraining Orders Are for Other Girls #1
I’ve one last Valentine’s Day themed comic to review this year. Marvel Romance Redux takes classic Marvel romance comics and replaces all of the original dialogue with crazy new stuff. For example, one story has a psychotic girl becoming a scientologist in order to win the heart of her favorite action movie star. Another story has a girl secretly ratting out her friends for buying answers to college exams and ends up falling in love with the dealer.

This isn’t a new concept. I have a few books like this. They’re pretty clever, though every once in a while you get a story that’s just plain “stoopid.” In my opinion, if 75% of the redone tales are funny, then the comic is a win. Sadly, Kyle Baker writer and artist of many great comics, including his run on Plastic Man, is by far the worst of the re-storytellers.

There are at least 4 more books in the Marvel Romance Redux line. I just happened across this in a dollar box a few years back. If I find the other titles- SCORE! But, I’m not going to actively pursue the rest of the book either.

There is a series called “What Were They Thinking?!” by Titan books. I really enjoyed that series and if they ever decide to make more of them, I’ll consider paying full price for them. I advise if you like parody books like this one I just read, you should find the Titan Books series. You’ll be glad you did.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment