Monday, February 17, 2014

GI Joe #82


G.I. Joe (1982-1994) #82A

 

This is the issue I’ve been waiting for. A look at the selection process for becoming a Joe. I’ve heard that the Navy SEAL program is the toughest there is. Well, this induction process makes that one looks like applying for the mail carrier exam.

 

Larry Hama really did his research in this issue which concludes with a raid on an armory. Is this raid part of the recruits’ final training or is there a more devious motive behind this attack of Cobra commandos? You’ll just have to read and decide for yourself.

 

This is one of my favorite issues in the series with an amazing amount of attention to detail.

 

OKAY- wait. I’ve got to fault one thing and I think its Hasbro’s fault and not Larry Hama. There’s a recruit in this issue called Budo. He’s of Asian descent. As you may know, Joes come from all branches of the military. So tell me, which branch do the samurai come from? This guy wears full ancient warrior gear. It even looks like he wears sandals. This just doesn’t seem like they type of General Issue that the US army would approve of? This is yet another reason I started to see GI Joe as less of a really cool war toy and more far-fetched than is realistically possible. Regardless, the story was good, but the line is starting to show signs of trying too hard and coming up short.

 

Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment