Thursday, October 10, 2013

Little Archie: The House That Wouldn’t Move Halloween Ashcan (Halloween Theme)


 


I got this as Halloween give-a-way a while back. Why it’s called an ashcan, I’ve never really know. Ashcans’ are small pamphlets in which a comic book publisher produces rather quickly in order to secure a patent, trademark, or rights to a title before a competitor can. However, these books were given to comic book stores as freebies for trick-or-treaters of all ages. It’s a very clever advertising tool. But by industry definition, it is NOT an ashcan!
This freebie stars Lil Archie and Lil Betty and their adventures with a ghost from the Civil War. As his haunted home is in danger of being demolished in order to make way for a highway, the ghost teams with the kids to save it! I enjoyed this story. But now that I read what I wrote, this sounds and awful lot like what happens to Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!
There’s also a very cute 2-page story involving Lil Archie and a cat. It reminders me of life as a multiple cat owner and I thought the punch line was awesome!
I couldn’t tell if the Lil Archie stories were reprints or new tales. I don’t think they make that tile anymore. However, compared to some of the Free Comic Book Day offerings by Archie Comics in years past, this is by far a book of superior quality than the dreck they pawn off today. This is a Nostalgic Archie story that makes me long for the days when Archie Comics were fun and entertaining.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.
Fright Factor: 1 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment