Monday, October 7, 2013

The Flash TV Special #1


In 1991, The Flash joined an elite group of superheroes by becoming one of a handful to ever get his own live action TV show. It didn’t last long and probably that was due to 1) not following the Barry Allen comic book archetype and 2) there were few if any really good bad guys for him to fight. I’d rather see the Flash fight Capt. Cold than a Korean gang attacking bodega owners. Plus, a superhero whose super power is super speed doesn’t translate well to the small screen. Regardless, I liked what I saw, but I had a feeling deep down that the show would get the boot. It was more of a surprise that the show lasted an entire season than not getting picked up for a second.

So, when I found this is a dollar bin, I swooped it up! The two tales based on the show are okay. The writing’s good and the art is good. But, somehow, this Flash doesn’t translate to the comic medium very well.
In the back are several articles about how the show came about, interviews with some of the actors, a segment on how a TV show is filmed and a season one episode guide. Those segments are the real meat of this book and were the most enjoyable. Hey, it’s even inspired me to find that old show on DVD and relive a few pre-teen memories.
It’s okay, but not great.
Rating 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment