Sunday, October 27, 2013

Xombi, (2011) Halloween Theme


Cover to issue 1, later used as the cover to this trade paperback.

 I know not to judge a book by its cover, but when the cover has a pissed off looking nun packing heat, then I have a feeling that your into something freakin’ awesome! And man, was I right. This is DC’s first attempt to bring the Milestone universe into official post-52 canon. While pronounced “Zombie”, the Xombi is not of the “Living Dead” category. This creature is a Dr. Kim whose been resurrected with nanobytes that pretty much make him indestructible. Although human contact while recovering from an injury is a bad idea as the nanobytes will absorb that living tissue as a means of cellular growth.

  I know it sounds complicated and in a way it is, but I still liked it. Being incapable of death, the Xombi is recruited by a group of experts on the arcane, including those pistol packin’ penguins, and together they try to save earth from supernatural forces. In this volume Xombi and crew must prevent a madman from overtaking a group of mystical airborne fortresses and destroying the earth. There’s some really ghoulish looking creatures, many of which look like they’re from Pan Labyrinth. While there are some supernatural shenanigans going on here, it’s not enough to scare me off.

I consider it a slightly less demonic version of Hellboy, another favorite of mine. Extremely well written and fantastic art. I would definitely read more and I am very interested in finding the original Xombi series from the 90s!

Worth Consuming.

Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

Fright Factor: 4 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment