Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Marvel Mystery Handbook 70th Anniversary Special


 

This handbook is exhaustive and exhausting. Filled with almost 100 entries, it covers just about every major character created and used during Timely Comic’s first year of publication. It’s designed in the style of the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe. Only, I like those books because the art work was original and beautifully done. Here, it appears images were either ripped from the 1940s books or taken from 2009’s Marvels Project. I wasn’t as impressed.

   I learned much from this book. But it was a lot to read. I had finished my last 70th Anniversary comic a month ago. But with tons and tons of very fine print paragraphs to sift through, I could only devour maybe 4-6 pages at a time and that was if I was lucky!

   There are lots of spoilers here. That why I read this last. It’s a challenge to read and only the most dedicated fan would really appreciate this work.

Rating 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment