Saturday, October 19, 2013

Marvel Adventures- The Avengers: Iron Man


 

  The Original Marvel Adventures line-up was classic. Wolverine, Spider-man, Storm, Captain America, Iron Man, Giant Girl, Hulk, and later Ant-Man and Tigra. They were funny, smart, and it was the perfect formula. Why did Marvel have to muck it up?

   “Iron Man” is the first volume chronicling the new line-up. From what I’ve read, with the team seeking UN approval and setting up a new base, this appears to been a reboot, somewhat eliminating the previous team I held so dear. Frankly, I’m not so keen on it.

   Captain America and Iron Man are still with the team and I love that Thor is involved this go round. But the comic banter is provided by Nova, a poor man’s Spidey. He’s annoying as heck. Black Widow and the Vision are members, too. Individually, they don’t really do anything for me, but I do like the dynamic of how Widow is trying to help Vision become more human.

   They real mystery to the mix is the inclusion of Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman. Why isn’t she with the Fantastic Four? Why is she here? And why is Reed Richards keeping taps on her through Black Widow. It’s a mystery and I like mysteries. But in this very small digest, the mystery remains unsolved. I hate THAT!

Also, the volume is titled Iron Man, but he’s a minor player in all four stories. It would’ve been better to title it after Sue Storm or Vision; two characters that eat up a large chunk of the plots. I’m just not sure I am a fan of this new format.

Rating 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment