Sunday, October 20, 2013

(Tales Designed to Carry an…) Impact! #3 (Halloween Theme)



Okay, I am not really sure this book qualifies as a Halloween themed book. This EC title is one I’ve never read before and until I found it recently at a comics shop, I’d never even heard of it. Thinking it’s EC and with the menacing old man on the cover, I thought it might be a horror book. Yet two of the stories have a happy ending and a third is tragic but at least inspiring and nowhere near as gory as something like Vault of Horror.

There is one story about an old man who takes the rap to protect his son from going to prison that has a somewhat terrifying ending. Plus a couple of stories have that creepy, I’m not sure where this is going edge. But it’s not a scary book. Thriller, sure I could qualify that as such. However, the 3rd tale is really something you’d find in a Romance comic. Plus, I don’t think they drew the ugly duckling heroine all that ugly. And the final story about a little girl who sells lemonade in front of a grumpy old man’s soda shop is so cute and makes you have that fuzzy feeling inside; I’d think it’s more of a Christmas tale without the decorations and snow.

But, this is all quality EC Comics stuff. Each story has the patented EC twist ending. However, it’s not gruesome as many of the defunct company’s most notable works is. I will most certainly get more of this title in the future due to the quality writing and fantastic art. But I’ll not consider this a “horror” title ever again.

Worth Consuming.

Rating 10 out of 10 stars.
Fright Factor 2 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment