Sunday, August 17, 2014

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend by Box Brown



  I just love to be the first person to check out a book from the library. It’s like you’re starting a legacy or something. I’d read some reviews of this book a while back and put this on my ‘to read’ list. Then, just a couple of days ago, I saw this on the processing desk so I decided to hang around a little bit to see if it would go out. My snooping paid off as 30 minutes later; I snatched this book off the rack from shelving before it even hit the floor!

  As a kid I would say I had two favorite wrestlers- Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. As a kid, I was taller than the rest of my classmates and a heck of a lot heftier. So, I really could relate with Andre’s humongous size. Years later, I would stop watching wrestling but I still held a fondness for Andre- so much that when my cat Sarakit had kittens a few years back, we named the biggest of the litter Andre.


Had to include a pic of Andre- my little shadow cat. He's so big.
This book is an interesting read into the life of a man that was bigger than life and lived every day that way too. He had acromegaly and it caused him to never really stop growing. That also was a death sentence for him as the excess stresses took a toll on his joints, heart, and ability to age. One thing I didn’t know was that he had a ranch in nearby Ellerbe, NC. That’s about a 2 hour drive and is now on my list of places to road trip too.

There’s some R-rated language and some very bawdy anecdotes about Andre. The man loved to drink, mingle, and play cards and fight. But above all else, he loved to put on a show. The story has some great moments and some very sad ones. But, I wouldn’t trade my experience seeing him on TV as a kid and I wouldn’t forgo the opportunity I got reading his biography first.

Not for all ages, but definitely a fun read for fans of wrestling in the 70s and 80s.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment