Friday, August 1, 2014

Hip Hop Family Tree Two-In-One (FCBD 2014)



So after reading and reviewing Hip Hop Family Tree Volume 1, I decided to read the Free Comic Book Day Sampler to see if I missed anything. As I said earlier, the first half of the comic is selections from Volume 1. I had only read about 7 pages prior and my earlier guess continued for about 7 more pages.

The middle of the book features an article by Ed Piskor on what resembles a mock-up of the old Marvel Bullpen Bulletins that were in all Marvel titles in the 80s through the mid-90s. Included in this book along with Piskor’s selections are several portraits of famed hip hop artists by different artists. They’re really cool and show off various styles and color techniques.

   The second half of the book is devoted to what is going to be Volume 2. Now, here’s the catch: even though this sampler advertises that Volumes 1 and 2 are out at the same time, they are not. Volume 1 was published in May of this year and Volume 2 will hit stores in mid-September. So, I have a little bit of time to wait but it’s not very long.

The selections of volume 2 were easier to read as I am now more familiar with many of the lengthy cast of characters and some of them are starting to look more like I remember them as a kid. The final page which shows RUN DMC after their fashion transformation was awesome and I wish I had a pic of it to show you. It had me running to my computer and looking up when Volume 2 would drop.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment