Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1


  This story is like an ‘untold tale’ in which this takes place during the Wolfman and Perez Crisis but doesn’t appearance in the epic 12-issue maxi-series. In this companion piece, members of the team of superheroes assembled by the Monitor, along with Batman, Nightwing, and the Flash are sent to an alternate earth which is undergoing assault by the Anti-Monitor’s shadow demons.
 The most interesting thing about this story is the characters from the alternate earth. Here, the races are reversed- so Superman is black, the Flash is Asian, and so forth.  Currently in the DC Comics, where the multiverse has made resurgence, there is a black Superman on earth 2. I’ve not read that series yet but I wonder if this book published 15 years ago had any influence on the new earth 2 Superman. I highly suspect this to be a coincidence.
The book also answers the question “How did the Anti-Monitor happen to capture the Barry Allen Flash?” I’ve always wondered that but never could find an answer. Since Marv Wolfman wrote this tale, I believe I got the definitive answer.
Legends: COIE is a great companion piece to the only comic that I actually read annually. The Crisis is my favorite story of all-time and I love getting to get another glimpse into that world once more. If only they could’ve gotten George Perez to do the art, then it would be a perfect extra chapter in an otherwise already perfect comic.
Worth Consuming
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment