Saturday, August 23, 2014

Madman with a BBC America (a review of the Season 8 premiere of Doctor Who)


Photo: AWESOME!
with tonight's  premiere episode, I dressed the part (and yes, I kept the Batman theme going...)



So I've just finished the Season 8 premiere of Doctor Who and I must say, I was impressed. The show has seemed to shift back to it's original roots and I think that's the right move for this Doctor. Peter Capaldi is in some ways like yours truly. He's a life-long fan of Doctor Who whose been through the series ups, downs, and hiatuses and with it, he brings a lot of his fanboy memories of the show with his version of the Doctor.
   There's a lot of potential with Peter Capaldi. Sadly, there's also not a lot of him in this opening episode. But that's okay as regeneration episodes typically focus on the companions and their attempts to cope with a new Doctor. Madame Vastra, Jenny, and Strax try to help companion Clara see that this new man saying he's the Doctor is still the dashing young man she hopped aboard the TARDIS with. He's just different.
   Vastra, Jenny, and Strax steal the show as usual and I think this episode was the first leap to something big with them. The trio is rumored to be in at least 2 more episodes this season and there's been talk of a spin-off with these guys for a while. I think if fans approve like I have, then that fantasy is about to become a reality on BBC America very soon.
   I don't want to give away too much more as many have either not seen it or are waiting to go to the special showing in select theatres this Monday. But I will say that I think the 12th Doctor realizes that he looks a lot like a certain marble salesman from Mount Vesuvius and that I suspect it's going to play with the overall theme of season 8. Maybe there will be a return of Donna Noble??? Lastly, there's a mystery player in this episode and I have a theory about them. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I will explain it but until then.... SPOILERS...


Worth Consuming


Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment