Friday, August 8, 2014

Avengers, Volume 2



This is the book that I thought was actually New Avengers, volume 3 and turned out I grabbed the wrong book! That’s okay though. In this volume, a third-tier villain has discovered where the illuminati have hidden the Infinity Gems. In an adventure that calls for Steve Rogers to bring in just about every version of the Avengers into active rotation, I was pleasantly surprised with my beloved New Avengers making a vital contribution to the storyline.

The New Avengers provide a much needed dose of humor and levity. Especially with Tony Stark and Steve Rogers at each other’s throats. With this mystery villain getting ever more stronger with each gem he possesses one must wonder who will bring forth the end to the Avengers- the baddie or Iron Man and Steve.

This was a great book that I was glad I got my hands on by accident. The writing by Brian Michael Bendis is as good as anything else of his that I’ve read. The art by John Romita, Jr isn’t bad either. But it makes me wonder why his style has changed over the years. It’s gotta a little less like the realism of his father, Romita Sr., and seems to actually look more like JRJR is drawing super-heroed versions of himself on every page. Again, it’s not bad, but it’s also not the style of his artwork I remember viewing as a kid.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment