Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Adventures of the Thing #1 (of 4)


Adventures of the Thing (1992) #1B

Ben Grimm, unhappy with his current state- a living, breathy mound of orange rocks, decides to take Doctor Doom’s time machine for a bit of a trip back in time to change him back into human form. See, Mr. Fantastic has just created a serum that will return the Thing back into his human form, but his body has gotten so used to the changes, the cure would’ve only worked right after Ben and the rest of the Fantastic Four’s space shuttle crashed back to earth. So, Ben Grimm travels backwards in hopes of getting himself to take this magic cure, only the younger Thing is so angry and so misshapen, he doesn’t realize that he’s come face to face with himself. So, naturally, the two have an epic fight. Its Thing vs Thi---- Hey, wait a minute, I’ve read this before! Sonofa-

Once I read this story, I flip the page only to find the original cover from when this story was first published back in the 1980s. That’s right- the entire 4-issue miniseries of Adventures of the Thing is a bunch of reprints from the classic 80s team-up series Marvel Two-In-One (This book reprints #50 of MTIO.)  If you already have that series collected, you don’t need this mini.

   Thankfully, I didn’t pay very much for these. No more than $2 apiece or less. But it took me about 2 years to finally get all of the books. I look at this more as a waste of my time than my money. 

  I don’t have all of Marvel Two-In-One yet. So, I may come across a couple of tales I’ve yet to have in my collection or even better- NOT READ YET!!!

I’m torn on how to rate this book. The cover was awesome. The story is a classic. But I got duped into buying a handful of reprinted comics. I’m a bit miffed. Buyer be aware!

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment