Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Iron Man Volume 4: Iron Metropolitan (Marvel NOW!)


Iron Man (2012-Present) #HC Vol 4

With Tony Stark back from space and having discovered that he was both adopted and has a brother, the industrialist decides to let his Iron Drones perform his work as Iron Man while he bonds with bro. This isn’t your typical bonding as the Stark boys are developing a utopian society based on tech Tony obtained in the Milky Way. In order to make sure that this goes smoothly, the Starks run war games and often end up destroying planet earth.

Their solution is to create this Utopia, called Troy, by basing it in a land so corrupt, so desolate, and so forsaken. Enter: Mandarin Island; the former city-state run by a now deceased Mandarin. Right now, the City is worse than the gang infested lands of Madripoor as even the UN has declared the zone ‘unsalvageable.” A Stark makes plans to bring peace and stability to the region, the ten rings of the Mandarin, now without a master, have grown sentient and are selecting new ring bearers who share one common goal- Kill Tony Stark at all costs!

This plot is eerily similar in some ways to the Fantastic Four: Big Town mini-series I recently completed (See my blog posts on those for more info.) So, that made this a more engrossing read. However, I’m finding that I’m not a huge Tony Stark fan. I like the villains, I like the supporting characters, and I love the armor, but if it doesn’t star Robert Downey Jr. or the voice talents of Adrian Pasdar, I’m not really in love with this character.

The first two chapters of this volume is mostly Tony and his brother playing war games and it’s a little boring. Only when the action ramps up to 11 do I find this to be an enjoyable read. I really like the character of Arno Stark, and I wouldn’t object is he one day took over the reins of Iron Man. I actually suspect this might be in the works as on a couple occasions, it’s mentioned the possibility that Tony could search out his biological parents. Wouldn’t it be cool if we found out Tony was a mutant or the spawn of a pair of super villains and if forced him to either hit the bottle again or go rogue- OR BOTH!

I truly seeing a brother vs. brother moment in the wings. Stay Tuned.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment