Sunday, August 24, 2014

Batman Inc.: the Deluxe Edition


Batman Incorporated (2011) #HC Vol 1
 I wish I had had the chance to have read this edition before I read volumes 1 and 2 of the New 52 Batman Incorporated series. But when you rely on the public library to help you catch up on reading comics with a limited budget, things like this happen. My library had the New 52 editions a good 2 months in stock before this volume came in 2 weeks ago. Oh, well.
In this volume we see the beginning of Batman Inc. with Bruce Wayne making the idea of a ‘Batman in every house’ a publically traded venture. With this step, the beginning of Leviathan and his global war on the Dark Knight begins as Batman recruits more allies into his ‘family.’ Grant Morrison continued to excite me with this dynamic series and while several artists contributed to this volume my favorite remains Chris Burnham, who in my opinion is the definitive artist of Batman in this decade if you’re unable to obtain Frank Quitely.
Though you can read this edition, which contains all 8-issues of series one after Batman Inc. series two, I don’t recommend this as A) some mysteries aren’t so mysterious since you’ll find them out in series 2, and B) there’s quite a bit of back story in this Deluxe Edition that was serious needed prior to reading series 2.
I enjoy quite a bit of this series. Batwoman’s involvement was a little confusing as I know very little about her other than what I’ve read in 52 and Countdown. I didn’t know she was a spy or some other type of mercenary. The commentary at the end of this volume should not be overlooked as it’s very informative as to where many of these characters origination or where Morrison got inspiration for them.
This is another jewel in the glistening crown of Grant Morrison. It’s not to be missed. Anytime you can make a crying baby or a kicked dog, characters who only appear in no more than 5 panels, someone who you truly care about and grieve for their pain and struggle, then you know you’ve latched onto a writer who can deftly create worlds.
Worth Consuming
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment