Friday, August 15, 2014

Adventures of the Thing #3 (of 4)


Adventures of the Thing (1992) #4

The reprint mini-series comes to a close with a classic ‘team-up’ of the Thing and the Man-Thing. Technically, they don’t really meet as Ben Grimm, recruited by Nick Fury to test a new SHIELD jet, crashes into the Florida Everglades and is injured and blinded by the destruction. A band of poachers is on the Thing’s trail, thinking him to be a rare orange alligator. Seeing that the Thing can’t defend himself, the Man-Thing runs interference.

Here’s my take on this story. When I first read it, I was engrossed by the drama, fearful for the Thing’s life. But as I write this review, I realize that nothing the poachers have on them would constitute as fatal to Ben Grimm. He’s made of living rock, so nothing short of a grenade launcher is going to kill him. However, the crash did give the Thing a severe concussion, as falls from great heights can break rock. So, the race for SHIELD to find Ben before his injuries kill him is a justified drama. But, I guess having the Man-Thing keep Ben from falling asleep in swamp water isn’t as thrilling as a pair of Deliverance rejects seeking to have the Thing mounted and stuffed.

Again, I am torn about how to rate this book. I had trouble with the plot. Thankfully, the art was okay. As you may know from reading my previews of the first three issues of this series, I was upset that this book didn’t have any new content. Thankfully, I’ve never read this issue before, so there’s a little positivity.

In the end, I think Marvel should give this mini-series another chance. Include the reprinted Marvel Two-In-One story in each issue, but include an all-new team-up in the book as well. You could have the Thing teaming up with the same heroes he does in the reprint or create a sequel to the story with a different hero or even villain. Also, I would like to see the original talent behind those tales reunite for the all new story.

Marvel, if you’re reading this and you use my idea, the only payment I would like is all 4 issues free and a small blurb thanking me for the idea on the title page of each book. I consider that a fair compensation.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

Overall series rating: 6.75
Issue reprinted is Marvel Two-In-One #77

No comments:

Post a Comment