Friday, December 6, 2013

Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #15 (Holiday 2013 Theme)



 

Go ahead, judge this book by its cover. It doesn’t look like a holiday themed book but you’d be wrong. I was all set to read this book in anticipation of Halloween when I saw in the bottom right corner “A Slay Ride with Santa.” A scary ghost story? It’s almost like an Andy Williams song and too good to be true. So, I eagerly waited until last night and finally brought an end to my wait.

It was so good. This issue was an early editorial worker of legendary Batman scribe, Denny O’Neil. You can see he’s daft handy work of the macabre in these pages. Along with a fantastically drawn adaptation of a Wordworth’s short story called “Feathertop” there’s the reason I waited so long- “A Slay Ride with Santa.”

In that yarn, a sidewalk Santa is killing kids for their Christmas gift buying budgets. With the NYPD on his trail, the serial killer hides in a workshop that’s not all that it appears.

This gruesome story was very shocking to me. I am surprised that a story involving a child killer made it to press in 1974, much less got approved by the Comics Code Authority. It was that stunner, plus the twist ending that earned high marks from me. However, due to its graphic content, it may not be for everybody and I definitely wouldn’t show it to any child who still believes in the magic of Santa. So, parents and caretakers, take note.

Worth Consuming.

Rating 8 out of 10 stars.

Holiday atmosphere rating: 4 out of 10 jingle bells.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment