Monday, December 30, 2013

With a New Year Comes a Great New Title...


So, 2013 is almost done, and I felt that the time was right to finally start reading Marvel's GI Joe series from the 1980s. I've been looking for this entire series since I starting collecting comics again in 2007. I found out pretty quick that to get a copy of every issue would result in my collection being rather small. I estimate getting all 155 issue, plus another 50 issues of GI Joe spin-offs like GI Joe: Order of Battle, GI Joe: Special Missions, and GI Joe: European Missions would cost me about a grand. That would mean my collection would be about 1,500 issues smaller than it is now. (I'm a serious bargain hunter and troller of conventions and dollar boxes.)

So, I decided to go the Trade Paper route. However, for several years only the first 50 issues, about 5 volumes, had been reprinted. Marvel lost the rights and IDW had yet to issue reprints of the reprints.
 A volume 3 trade that was out of print was selling on Amazon for the bargain price of $389.95. So, that option was also a little unreasonable.

So, I decided to mix and match my collection. For instance, I found volume 1 at a used book store for $12.50 and I used tade credit to get it. I've also compiled many issues in my collection via bargain hunting. I've got many issues for less than a buck.

This fall, I finally got enough reprints and dollar books to get the entire 155 issue run of the original GI Joe series. I still have some work to do to get all the reprints, but I think I'll be able to finish that up by 2014's end. Who knows, maybe by this time next year, I'll be reading those books for review?

Who Knows?

Oh, and knowing is half the battle!
YO, Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment