Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Adventures of Spencer Spook #4 (Holiday 2013 Theme)

I’ve never heard of Spencer Spook prior to finding this issue and a non-holiday issue at a Jewish thrift store, somewhere in Western North Carolina. But, I took a chance and I think it was a fairly good one.

The issue opens with an interview with a former Spencer Spook artist and writer named Jack Bradbury. It was an interesting look at a genre and period of comic book history to which I know very little.
The first couple of stories are original but they are not Christmas themed. So I was thinking I had been once again duped into buying a holiday themed issue that was seasonal in cover only. Thankfully, the final story saved the day. In it, Spencer Spook tries to make the future bright for a family who aren’t very friendly during the holiday. But, when Spencer takes a page out of Dickens, his ghosts of Christmas Past and Present reveal some hidden secrets that make the holidays worse!
A very lovely comic that came through in the last minute to provide some holiday cheer.
I enjoyed it enough to read more Spence Spook tales in the future.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.
Holiday Rating: 4 out of 10 jingle bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment