Friday, December 20, 2013

Superman #165 (Holiday 2013 Theme)



In this holiday issue, Superman tries to find the true meaning of Christmas by seeking advice from his colleagues in the JLA. Okay, I am just kidding, Superman does seek advice from his teammates, but it’s not over the true meaning of Christmas. Instead he’s trying to make sense of his role of the protector or Truth, Justice, and the American way in light of Lex Luthor’s election to the Presidency.

Along the way, Superman does give a special Christmas gift to each teammate and I thought that way extremely classy. I loved the ending as well. Extremely fitting.

There was one thing about this issue I found odd, and no, I’m not talking about the very passionate way Superman and Wonder Woman interact with each other- though it’s a definite “Ghosts of Christmas Future” moment, albeit unintentional, that is playing out in the pages of DC Comic’s right now. No, my problem with the tale was the beginning in which a group of time travelers are massacred by Mongol’s War World. It’s never brought up again in this book, so if left me wondering what that was all about. I’m guessing it’s covered in Superman #165, but even the editor’s page on the back that talks about next month’s issue doesn’t mention the War World either.

Oh, well…

Oh, yeah- one more thing, one segment is drawn by Rob Liefeld. I absolutely hate Rob Liefeld’s artwork. Everybody’s body is out of proportion and each face has the exact same tiny little nose, beady eyes, and a grimace that makes me think the characters might be constipated. Thankfully, his artwork only covered about 4 pages. It really could’ve ruined Christmas for all.

Worth Consuming anyway.

Rating 8 out of 10 stars.

Holiday atmosphere rating: 9 out of 10 jingle bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment