Sunday, December 15, 2013

New Avengers, volume 1: Everything Dies (Marvel Now!)



The Illuminati return in this retooling of New Avengers. I’ve haven’t seen them since Civil War and that was about 5 years ago, so they may have made a reappearance since then, who knows? But for me, the Illuminati appear to have a new member with Captain America. Plus, with Professor X’s death at the hands of Cyclops in the pages of A Vs. X,  a replacement member is announced in this book.

The Illuminati return after Black Panther witnesses the death of a parallel earth in which its appearance signals the beginning of the end of the multi-verse. Now the team must devise new ways to kill off parallel earths or this earth is doomed.

This seemed an awful lot like Crisis on Infinite Earths. Plus, with Captain America’s betrayal at the hands of the Illuminati, this seems a lot like Identity Crisis. In other words, I read this story in the pages of DC Comics!

Yet considering how borrowed this story seemed, I was still engrossed by it. I didn’t have as much problem with the plot being so similar to many years of DC fodder, but I did think that having Capt. as a member of the Illuminati was a stretch. It just didn’t seem like something he would agree to, which eventually he doesn’t and things get a little dangerous for him. Maybe he joined to keep the Illuminati in line, but it still doesn’t seem like something of his character to be a part of.

Despite my problems with the book, I enjoyed it. I even can’t wait for volume 2. I like most of what Marvel’s being doing with the Marvel Now! retool, but of the books I have read so far, this is my least favorite.

Worth consuming.

Rating 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment