Sunday, December 26, 2021

Archie Christmas Spectacular 2021 #1

Sure, I've read my share of holiday Archie books this year. But this one-shot has become my annual must-read. Dan Parent, even though for some reason he's blocked me from making comments on his FB page, has become my all-time fav Archie writer/artist. Parent not only co-creates the cover image, he contributes to 3 of the 4 stories included within. 

In the all-new story, Dan Parent brings back a holiday favorite- Jingles the Elf. Jingles feelings are hurt when Archie and Betty are seemingly more interested in the Winter Dance rather than be entertained by one of Santa's helpers. So Jingles decides to tag along. Using some Christmas magic, the Elf masquerades as Archie and decides to dance with everyone and anyone willing to cut a rug. It's a festive twist on the Archie with 2 dates at the same time storyline!

In the 3 repeat stories, Veronica goes all out to win a gingerbread contest against Betty. Then the gang debate over just who made Pop's favorite Christmas ornament. Lastly, when the heating and air goes out in the Lodge estate, Veronica goes overboard making an igloo for her annual holiday sleepover. 

As I've read my share of Christmas Archie stories, the gingerbread tale and the ornament story were not new to me. That's okay! I enjoyed the re-reads.

That igloo story was great. But as I reflect over my read, I noticed a big plot hole. Mr. Lodge said it would be a week before things could get fixed. Later, as Veronica's friends marvel on how quick things get done building the igloo, the rich girl says that money can be a great motivator. So why didn't Ronnie motivate the HVAC guy with some cash to get the heat fixed in the first place?

This annual toast to the holidays didn't disappoint. I would have liked to not have read any of the older stories. I probably would have gotten away with it if I hadn't read Archie: 80 Years of Christmas. That's where those 2 tales I had read previously from before. Still, it was worth the wait!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment