Sunday, December 5, 2021

The Simpsons Holiday Humdinger

Did you ever have a book that for one reason or another, you didn't read it because you thought you had already read it. Yet, it turns out that nope, you really hadn't?! Well, that's me and The Simpsons Holiday Humdinger.

Because of it's tabloid-size, I kept this book in another part of my collection where I keep books that I've read before. Recently, I've gone on a Simpsons Comics re-reading kick and as I am now into my holiday reads, I figured the time was right to re-read this book. Only, I haven't read this before. 

The Simpsons Holiday Humdinger is over 250 pages of the residents of Springfield celebrating the holidays. Which holidays you ask? Seemingly, all of them! We've got Grandpa getting confused and celebrating Christmas in July. Bart converts to Judaism in order to cash in on the 8 nights of presents found in Hanukkah. Doctor Hibbert explains the special meanings behind the 7 days of Kwanzaa. And then we've got lots of Christmas time fun what with Comic Book Guy marking up the prices of the ultra-hot Itchy & Scratchy interactive toys and Lisa & Bart crafting a new holiday special to replace the Happy Little Elves.

I've read the Bart Hanukkah story somewhere before. Either as part of one of Winter Wingdings annuals or maybe a reprint in the monthly series that ran for an impressive 250 issues. I'm thinking that this collection (along with Homer For The Holidays, which I know for sure that I have never read) are treasuries of old Simpsons comics. But there's also a lot of short 1-4 page gags that I'm really not sure about. The art for those look newer and there's never any sort of credits of the writing/drawing team like on the full-length stories. 

The Treehouse of Horror treasuries seem to be in this similar vein. They've got reprints along with all-new material. So I may need to get all of the Wingdings even if I do ever manage to get Homer For The Holidays. I guess I'm not really complaining. I don't ever seem to get upset if I buy reprints when it comes to my holiday books. 

Sadly, the holiday fun with Bart, Lisa and the rest was over too soon. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment