Thursday, December 2, 2021

Star Wars: Life Day #1

For the first time ever in comicdom- a holiday special involving the Star Wars universe!

When I found out about this issue, I was so excited. I grew up on Star Wars. I am obsessed with holiday comic books. This just seemed to be a win-win. And I decided to make it the first read in my 2021 Christmas Comic reads!

It's Life Day- the Star Wars version of Christmas. Han and Chewie are on a mission for the New Republic with things go pear-shaped. In the ensuing fire-fight, Han reflects on past Life Day instances. 


This one-shot holiday special was a unique look at how your favorite Star Wars characters celebrate Life Day without the musical stylings of Carrie Fisher or the appearances of Bea Arthur or Harvey Korman. 

Cavan Scott, Jodie Houser,and George Jeantys (among others) work together to craft an anthology style holiday comic. And for the most part, these stories are really good. There is one story that takes place during the rule of the Old Republic. I'm wasn't familiar with some of the background characters mentioned in it. Plus, how can Han Solo recall this episode in Wookiee history? That is unless this is a tale told to him by Chewbacca. It's just that Chewie doesn't seem like the storytelling type to me.

The ending of the framing story had an ending scene that foretells something ominous. But again, I'm not so very versed in non-movie trilogy stuff. So, I'm not sure if it's just a passing clever ending or is there something in the countless novels or modern Marvel Star Wars comics that I just am not familiar with.  

I kinda wish that this special was more just one really good holiday themed Star Wars story and not a handful of okay/pretty good stories. The art for all were great. But the degree of authorship was varying. 

I really think if this was done in the fashion of Tales From Vader's Castle, the Star Wars Halloween annual miniseries, where this special was focused on being more all ages centered, this special would have been an instant classic. Maybe next year's attempt might go that route!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment