Friday, December 31, 2021

John Carter of Mars: Weird Worlds

When I found this book at a used book store, I was super happy. I've read several of the John Carter of Mars books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and I was looking forward to some new adventures in comic book form. Well, I got half my wish.

This collection of John Carter stories covers the 1972-73 run in the back of issues Tarzan and Weird Worlds. Murphy Anderson, Marv Wolfman and Joe Orlando were the creative trio behind the majority of these stories. And here's where my wish was left completely fulfilled. The comics are a present faithful recount of the first two Burroughs works about Mars: A Princess of Mars and The Gods of Mars. Then books 3-5 get smushed together. 

I don't really mind rereading the adventures of John Carter and Dejah Thoris on arid Barsoom (the Martian word for Mars). It's just not what I was expecting. 

Since Tarzan, another Edgar Rice Burroughs creation, was published at the same time by DC, there's a very good chance that those stories are adaptations as well. That won't be such a problem for myself considering I've never read a Tarzan novel. But for those of you who might be Tarzan fans and you're looking for all-new Greystoke adventures from 1970s DC, you probably are in the same boat I was with John Carter of Mars: Weird Worlds.

The writing was very faithful. The art was amazing. Exquisite. About as sexy as you can get without going into the realm of Frank Frazetta. If characters wearing very little clothes is a problem for you; this is not the book for you. 

Possibly NSFW sci-fi.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment