Saturday, December 11, 2021

JSA Classified #33

I completely forgot that I needed to read this one. 

I read the previous issue during my 2021 selection of Thanksgiving reads. But despite the cliffhanger, I held off on completing this until it was December because the cover to this issue promised a Christmas themed tale. In reality, I should have just read this right after issue #32 as 90% of the story occurs just as Solomon Grundy and then Vandal Savage have totally disrupted a Thanksgiving Day parade. 

The whole debacle was another of Vandal Savage's attempts to become even more omnipotent. See, the Alan Scott Green Lantern ring is powered by something called The Starheart. By getting Alan to use his ring against Solomon Grundy, Vandal Savage was somehow leeching The Starheart of it's powers. Somehow, this gem personified the spirit of Scott's deceased daughter Jade. And in a bizarre tug-of-war of wills, Jade flip-flops from agent of evil under Vandal Savage and beacon of light when influenced by Green Lantern.

It's all a very interesting tag-team match-up that the WWE should one day explore. 

I don't really understand everything Vandal Savage was trying to do and I really have no clue how he was pulling it off. That was about the only aspect of this issue that I didn't enjoy. Things on Turkey Day don't end so happily for Alan Scott. But when we flash forward to Christmas, it does perk up a bit. 

A good holiday read that one should experience closer to Thanksgiving than by December 25th.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment