Monday, December 13, 2021

Marvel Comics Presents #25


This is another MCP that could get hot one day soon. It features the first appearance of John Doe; The Nth Man: The Ultimate Ninja. Doe and his foster brother Alfie O'Meagan are destined for world impacting things. One will become an assassin; the other will prevent World War III. One is pure evil. The other a force of good. 

The main selling point for this story was 'unfortunately, the good one is the assassin.'

I really liked this opening salvo to the series of the same name. Written by G.I. Joe's Larry Hama with art by collaborator Ron Wagner, I want to read the entire Nth Man series. As there was only about 15 issues in that first volume, and most of these books can be found in bargain bins, I shouldn't have much trouble getting it for cheap.

Ninjas seem to really be Larry Hama's thing. Hama was responsible to turning Snake Eyes into a ninja and the who Japan mystic permeated the original G.I. Joe series from Marvel. Parts of this 8-pager really felt like a slightly oddball retelling of the complicated history between Snake Eyes and Cobra assassin Storm Shadow. And if the rest of the story is half as good as this introduction, then I am in for a treat.

Now I don't know if the Nth Man is scheduled to appear in any MCU project. But should he pop up, then you should expect this first appearance issue to shoot up in value. I paid 40 cents for this issue. If you can get this book for under $2, I think you've made a safe investment. The worse that happens is you paid a couple of bucks for a very good short story.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment