Saturday, January 4, 2014

“Feed” by Mira Grant, Book I of the Newsflesh Trilogy


Our local library has this thing called the “Don’t Judge a Book by Its Cover” program. They take books, wrap them so as you can’t see them and then they paste the first sentence of the book on top of the package. It’s to encourage people to read and discover books and subjects that might be out of their comfort zone or that folks might just overlook entirely.

My first sentence was as follows:

“Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot- in the case, my brother Shaun- deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick and to see what happens.”

I thought the sentence was fully as hell and I was totally intrigued. I like zombie comics, but I’m not really a fan of horror films or fiction. I like horror comics too! But, deep down I am a wuss. But, the first sentence was funny and I thought that I might just have the next Shaun of the Dead in my hands. I was sorta right.

  This book involves a pair of twins named Georgia, our narrator and her brother- the idiot, named Shaun. In this post zombie apocalyptic world, bloggers and online reporting has replaced the traditional news. With the constant threat of outbreaks and rampant fear, it makes sense that people writing about what they see out their windows would become newsworthy. When the twins get hired to go on the road with a up and coming Presidential candidate, the duo of reporters get more than they bargained for, as their presence has just uncovered a massive conspiracy.

  The book started off a little slow. I got a little nervous, because the twins start off the book poking a zombie with a stick and then fleeing from a horde of undead Californians. My head was saying that this is a typical zombie work like the multitude that’s flooded the market in recent years. Yet, my instincts said to keep reading on and I am glad I did.

   By the time the siblings get home and have to undergo an unthinkable number of blood tests and then a sterilizing ritual that doesn’t just kill the zombie virus, but just about any bacteria good or bad on the human body, I’ve realized that author Mira Grant just hasn’t written a book, she’s created an entire world. With the history of the virus to how society survives in an oft isolated manner to the new political system developed “after the end times”, it’s easy to see this as a real possibility in the event of zombie devastation.

  Look, I know zombies aren’t real. But, this book made me realize that the zombie “virus”  doesn’t just attack bodies once dead. This microscopic bug that turns a corpse into the undead is in everybody. All living beings over a certain weight are infected. It’s white blood cells that’s keeping folks from turning into walking Petry dishes of hot death. I never understood why someone alive could turn into a zombie if bitten. It’s because the virus is in everyone and so a little extra germ causes a massive infection.

  It’s like Typhoid Mary, she was a walking germ factory, but she never got sick- she just made people sick. But,  I bet if she had been injected by someone else’s typhoid cells, she would’ve shown symptoms as well. I don’t think we’ll be fighting zombies any day now, but there are terrible viruses and bacteria out their waiting to mutate and rear its ugly head and I think if that kind of outbreak happens, we could be seeing quarantines scenes like those out of a George Romero film.

I really loved the book. It did take a while to get going and once it did, I couldn’t stop- literally like a live host being converted after a bite! Yes, I cheated and had to read ahead a little as the suspense was killing me. There are two more books in this series and I will be heading to my library tomorrow to pick up the next book. I can even see this series becoming a trilogy of films or maybe even a TV series on like SyFy. And I would watch it! Faithfully!

Thank you, Orange County Public Library. You opened me up to not just a great book, but to a brave new world that I wouldn’t want to live in, but I definitely wouldn’t mind observing from afar.

Worth Consuming

Rating 8.5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment