Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers (Marvel NOW!)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2013-Present) #HC Vol 1
It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in quite a while.
The Guardians are a rag tag bunch of extraterrestrial superheroes. They’re led by a half-breed earthling whose father happens to be the King of the Universe. Amongst the rest of the team are a talking Raccoon named Rocket, a walking-talking tree named Groot, Thanos daughter, and Tony Stark? Somewhere in a book I’ve not read yet, the Avengers decided to join up with the Guardians in hopes of finding some peace of mind and going on an honest-to-God vacation away from it all and the rigor of owning Stark Industries. However, when an alien task force invades London, Stark and his new team find themselves returning to earth sooner than expected.
This volume also includes a .1 issue that is a good starting point for someone unfamiliar to Guardians of the Galaxy. There’s also an anthology issue that gives some vital back story to many of these characters. That issue also sheds a little light on how the team’s current incarnation was formed. However, there’s absolutely zilch on Tony Stark’s role in all this.
Cosmic Avengers has me pumped for the film. Not only that, I am on the look-out for future Marvel Now! volumes of Guardians and I may even decide to branch out and pursue some of the older series that bear the name of Guardians of the Galaxy.
Karen Gillan, who played Amy Pond on Doctor Who is my wife’s favorite companion and my wife is a big fan of here, period. Since Gillian will be starring in the forthcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll be seeing the film either in theatres or on DVD thanks to Redbox. I know very little about the Guardians, except for an appearance last year on Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-man on Disney XD. When I found this volume at my local library, I decided to bone up on the Guardians.Worth Consuming.

Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment