Thursday, January 2, 2014

GI Joe #31

For the next 10 or so issues, I’ll be reading the issue as it was originally printed and not from a reprint collection. Why books 31-40 were so dirt cheap and easy to find is beyond me, but it’s an odd but welcome change of pace.


When I finished Classic GI Joe, volume 3, Destro and Firefly were in a stolen boat heading north in an attempt to assassinate Cobra Commander. When we come to this issue and Destro and Firefly and now in New York and seeking a Cobra infiltrator’s help to discover the Joes secret base. Why the change and why did they allow Cobra Commander to order them to this diversion is beyond me. I read this book twice and I don’t think Joe scribe Larry Hama remembered to inform the reader of this change.
The art was far more superior to the previous 3 or 4 issues. It looked less cartoony a la Bugs Bunny and more like the cartoon on TV. I appreciated the change.
Plus, there’s more new Joes introduced, including Spirit, a personal favorite of mine when it came to the figures. I even think I still have that figure. Anyway, it’s like every month there was some new figure or vehicle to add to the GI Joe mythos and each issue brings back a flood of memories to playing with the toys and watching the classic cartoon. Marvel did a fantastic job making this title something all ages could enjoy. Sadly, there’s at least one really big nit in this issue’s plot.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment