Saturday, January 4, 2014

GI Joe #34

G.I. Joe (1982-1994) #34A
 

  Of the original Marvel comic, this is perhaps one of the most iconic covers and perhaps the most iconic issues of all, behind the all-silent issue in which Storm Shadow and Snake Face off at Destro mountain retreat. Here there are only 2 vehicles, a Skystriker and a Rattler tank plane. There are also only 4 characters in this issue as well- Lady Jaye, Ace, Wild Weasel, and Baroness. Actually, there are 5 if you count the Eastern seaboard as a character and its presence in the book often influences how the two aircraft dog fight, so I guess I will count it.

    I always created writer Larry Hama for the amazing plotting, but it’s really the artists in this issue that make this issue one of my all-time favorites. The crosscutting between Joe and Cobra, as well as the paneling sequences that make you feel as those two fighter jets are actually soaring across the page is something you really have to experience for yourself. I remember reading this book as a child and I was blown away by it. Now, I’m in my mid-thirties and I think this book is more action packed than just about any war film I seen since I first read this issue back in 1984 or 85. It’s that good.

Required reading for any fan of comics, especially war comic fanatics! Worth Consuming.

Rating 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment