Thursday, January 16, 2014

GI Joe #51

G.I. Joe (1982-1994) #51A
 

    With the Joe team coming up empty after the invasion of Springfield, USA, the Pentagon decides to disband the team and confine all personnel to their barracks in order to avoid a PR crap-storm. Only Cobra doesn’t know of the status of the Joes and has sent the Dreadnoks to destroy the heroes once and for all. (In volume 5, it’s revealed that Buzzer knows where the Pit is located. Hint: its right where Cobra destroyed it about 30 issues prior. Oh, yeah, the Pit was rebuilt over its old remains.)

Okay- this issue inadvertently addresses a problem I’ve had with the series and allowed great action, art, and adventure to bury it deep down in my subconscious. Why would you rebuild your top-secret Army base right where your most hated enemies destroyed it before? And why hasn’t Cobra put 2-and-2 together and set a squad of Crimson Guardsmen to check to see if the Pit is still operating as if nothing ever happened?

I like the drama of Hawk trying to reestablish the team and prove that Springfield was housing a secret Cobra base. I also liked being introduced to more of Zartan’s Dreadnoks, including his pink haired brother and sister. I had forgotten about the brother, but I remember having a Zarana figure. It’s good to see her finally make an appearance.

The story is building up to an epic battle between the Joes, Dreadnoks, and Serpentor. I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment