Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sledge Hammer! #1



  This comic was based on the short lived ABC series of the same name. Sledge was a parody of 80s cop films like the Lethal Weapon movies. But more directly, Sledge himself, with his giant magnum firearm, was a direct send up of Dirty Harry, only nowhere near as mean or smart.

I liked the show. I thought it was funny and I remember having this issue as a kid. I found this recently in a bargain bin for less than a quarter, so of course I had to snatch it up!

In this issue, Sledge must protect a TV starlet, whose the latest in the line of actresses who have all died playing the same role. As Sledge and his partner play bodyguard, they run through a list of possible suspects while facing off against a number of classic horror characters that are trying to kill the budding actress.

Sledge was silly fun. I still liked it and I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on issue #2 (Only 2 issues of this series were ever published.) Interestingly enough, the book’s cover touts an appearance by Satana, the sister of Damon Helstrom, The Son of Satan. However, she’s not really the Marvel horror character, but a role played the various actresses who have died mysteriously in a series of gruesome murders that reenact classic horror films. What a clever way to attempt to tie Sledge Hammer! into the Marvel universe!

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment